The QUEST Institute for Experimental Quantum Metrology is a joint institution of the Leibniz Universität Hannover and the PTB in Braunschweig. In the Quantum Logic Spectroscopy research group, we work on precision spectroscopy of trapped and laser-cooled atomic ions. Quantum control of trapped ions is one of the most advanced approaches to develop a fault-tolerant programmable quantum computer. A 50-qubit system based on a surface ion trap chip with integrated microwave near-field control is to be set up. All aspects of the overall system are covered within the research group. A basic requirement for the operation of the quantum computer is long storage time of the ions, which is limited by collisions with the residual gas. The main workplace will be in Hannover
Your tasks will include:
- Planning of vacuum systems for testing the outgassing behavior of different materials Planning,
- implementation and evaluation of outgassing tests Operation of a test apparatus for comparison and further development of baking strategies in combination with e.g. UV irradiation to minimize residual gas pressure in vacuum systems Planning,
- implementation and evaluation of measurement campaigns to characterize baking processes Development of additively manufactured vacuum chambers
- Development of concepts for scalable cryogenic vacuum systems Presenting the scientific results at national and international conferences
- A position at one of the world’s leading research institutions which has an excellent infrastructure
- Excellent national and international connections, in addition to QVLS-Q1, the working group is e.g. B. involved in the excellence cluster QuantumFrontiers
- Remuneration in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement for the public service (Tarifvertrag öffentlicher Dienst Bund – TVöD for the federal level) Remuneration is based on salery group E13.
- Position limited until December 31, 2025
- Good work-life balance (flexible work and part-time models possible)
- Good transport connections (bus and bike); Subsidy for Jobticket Germany; free parking
- You have completed your university studies in mechanical or electrical engineering or physics (master’s degree/German Diplom) with a very good degree.
- You have knowledge of vacuum and/or clean room technology or related areas Ideally you have knowledge of laser technology, optics, electronics and construction
- You have a high level of commitment, an ability to work independently, and a willingness to learn.
- You are a strong team player with good communication skills.
- You have a very good command of spoken and written English.
- You must have the physical ability to work in a laboratory and perform experiments at external sites.
How to apply
If you are interested, please contact Benjamin Kraus, Prof. Dr. Piet O. Schmidt or use directly the application form PTB promotes the professional equality of women and men and is thus especially interested in applications from women. Within the scope of the official feasibilities, PTB offers flexible part-time work schemes in order to support in particular the compatibility of work and family life. Disabled persons will be given priority if they have the same occupational aptitude.
30167 Hannover, Lower Saxony, Deutschland
Want to share your own job opportunity?