Continuous-variable quantum key distribution (CV-QKD) is a well established technology to distribute secret keys between two parties for data encryption. The technology has strong similarities to coherent optical telecommunication, however noise is crucial as it is attributed to an eavesdropper and, thus, drastically reduces performance. Within this position you will experimentally investigate the integration of CV-QKD into telecom networks. You will use coherent and in particular squeezed states for the experimental demonstrations.
The position will be hosted by the Section of Quantum Physics and Information Technology (QPIT) at the Department of Physics of the Technical University of Denmark (DTU).
QPIT conducts widely recognized research within a range of diverse topics such as continuous-variable quantum information processing, quantum enhanced sensing, and engineering of solid state quantum systems. We are part of the EU Flagship on quantum technology and the EU H2020 Quantum Key Distribution Testbed project OPENQKD.
Responsibilities and tasks
We are looking for a highly motivated candidate who will be in charge of experimental demonstrations of continuous-variable quantum key distribution. You will
– experimentally demonstrate wavelength division multiplexing of CV-QKD using squeezed light and telecommunication
– experimentally demonstrate long distance CV-QKD with squeezed light in the lab
– implement an in-field demonstration between DTU and downtown Copenhagen
– demonstrate CV-QKD with squeezed light from a chip integrated source across DTU’s campus together with experts on chip integrated squeezed light
– help supervising a PhD student
Candidates should have a PhD degree or equivalent.
You have a passion for photonics and you are familiar with I/Q (amplitude / phase) modulation, be it from a background in telecommunications or quantum optics with continuous variables and you are intrigued by its application in quantum key distribution. You enjoy finding clever solutions to difficult problems and further you have the following qualifications:
– Experience with working with amplitude and phase modulation and (coherent) detection: telecommunication or quantum optics
– Experience with fiber optics
– Experience with python or matlab programming
– Experience with squeezed light is a plus but not required and can be obtained on the job.
How to apply
Please submit your online application no later than 4 May 2022 (Danish time) by following the link: https://www.fysik.dtu.dk/english/about-dtu-physics/vacancies/job?id=86cf7392-89d6-4bf8-9cb7-c047ae6ba03e Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online", fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file must include: - Application (cover letter) - CV - Academic Diplomas (MSc/PhD – in English) - List of publications
Published on April 17, 2022