Fraunhofer is Europe’s largest application-oriented research organization. Our research efforts are geared entirely to people’s needs: health, security, communication, energy and the environment. As a result, the work undertaken by our researchers and developers has a significant impact on people’s lives. We are creative. We shape technology. We design products. We improve methods and techniques. We open up new vistas.
The Fraunhofer Institute for Applied Optics and Precision Engineering in Jena conducts applied optics research on behalf of industry and as part of publicly funded research projects. The range of services includes system solutions, starting with new design concepts, through technology development, manufacturing and measurement methods to the construction of demonstrators and pilot series for applications.
For the Department of Emerging Technologies, we are seeking a Photonic Engineer to support a team of scientists and engineers in the development of an optical quantum computer.
What you will do
As a photonics engineer your work may include the following:
– Experimental investigations on quantum optical setups
Electronic feedback control loops and active stabilization of interferometric setups
– Automation of measurement procedures
– Design and organize transfer of lab model optical setups towards engineering models
Fraunhofer IOF is pioneering applied quantum optics research and offers innovative solutions for science and industry wherever quantum systems have the potential for revolutionary applications. Research topics range from enabling photonic technologies to development of complete quantum communication, quantum imaging, and photonic quantum information processing systems. Fraunhofer IOF provides access to the entire photonics process chain from basic research in nonlinear optics and advanced fiber technology to nanofabrication, micro-assembly and systems integration.
Successful candidates will thus have research opportunities in quantum information science, technology development, applied photonics, and industry.
For more information see also:
What you bring to the table
Successful candidates will have a strong background in engineering physics, laser technology, applied optics, or mechatronics. Familiarity with the any of the following is beneficial:
– Pulsed Laser Systems, Optical parametric oscillators,
Laser Communication and high-speed electro-optic modulation
– Frequency combs and laser stabilization
– Integrated Optics and Photonic Devices
– Python programming and experimental automatization
Successful candidates will be enthusiastic to take project responsibility in a team with collaborators in academia and industry.
– An ability to prepare scientific publications and research proposals, and to present results at local, national, and international research meetings and trade shows is expected.
– The ideal candidate is a good team player and fluent in English (written and spoken). Proficiency in German language is also beneficial.
What you can expect
– Cooperation in a collegial, open-minded team in a well-equipped work environment
– Personal and professional development opportunities in challenging R&D projects
– Networking with first-class industrial partners and research groups
– Access to state-of-the-art research and engineering infrastructure:
– Engineering facilities (Fiber technology, nanofabrication, …)
– Fibre network and a 40-km lab-to-lab fibre link for quantum communication
– Free-space optics testbed for satellite quantum communications
– Flexible working hours and a family-friendly workplace
Appointment, remuneration and social security benefits based on the public-sector collective wage agreement (TVöD).
The weekly working time is 39 hours. The position can also be filled on a part-time base. The position is initially limited to 2 years with possibility for prolongation.
We value and promote the diversity of our employees’ skills and therefore welcome all applications – regardless of age, gender, nationality, ethnic and social origin, religion, ideology, disability, sexual orientation and identity. Appointment, remuneration and social security benefits based on the public-sector collective wage agreement (TVöD).
How to apply
Interested? Apply online now. We look forward to getting to know you! https://jobs.fraunhofer.de/job-invite/28367/
Published on April 20, 2022