Oxford Quantum Circuits (OQC) is a small company that is developing a cloud based quantum computer service – Quantum Computing as a Service (QCaaS). This service will be used to enable Customers to solve some of humanity’s most significant challenges. We are developing technology using the power of quantum to do things that have never been achieved before, from enabling life-changing drug discoveries to developing new battery technologies. Interest is already being expressed in the proposed QCaaS by Central Government and other areas.
Having defined its initial Technology Roadmap and already making progress with its implementation, OQC now needs to put the management of its day to day quantum engineering activities onto a more mature footing. This will be the responsibility of the Director of Quantum Engineering (DQE).
Reporting directly to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the DQE will be the primary focal point for defining the quantum engineering strategy, ensuring that it remains coherent with the OQC Technology Roadmap and managing all quantum related activities in the business to ensure the company delivers on its commitments, maximises Customer satisfaction and also drives revenue and margin growth. The DQE will assist with the creation of the company’s budget, run the Quantum P&L and will ensure quantum engineering effort remains efficient, productive and effective. The DQE will be an exemplary leader, have excellent business acumen and a sound understanding of business strategy.
The DQE will also assist the OQC management team with the development of Strategic Partnerships and Key Customer Relationships.
Quantum Engineering Management
The Director of Quantum Engineering will be the primary focus for all quantum engineering activities within the company, including but not limited to:
– Responsible for the design and development of a scalable, commercially exploitable quantum computing service and for ensuring its performance. He/she will also be responsible for analysing R&D customer experiments.
– Contribute to the delivery of a Quantum Computing Service designed to meet and exceed highest global standards in industry, including successful/timely compliance and certification.
– Ensure OQC’s product development process is formally established, followed and reported throughout the organization.
– Act as a key member of the company’s leadership team, influencing the overall technical and commercial direction of the company.
– Engage with the company leadership team on quantum engineering strategic and operational matters.
– Contribute to the development of the OQC annual budget based on operational and financial targets.
– Monitor the Quantum Engineering operating budget to ensure expenditure is aligned to budget allocations. Address budget variances that may occur.
– Closely collaborate with Operations on supply chain, manufacturing and quality management processes.
– Provide support to the Quantum Engineering team, working closely with the Hardware, Software and System Integration engineering managers to ensure coherent development of the OQC Cloud Based Quantum Computing Service.
– Coach and support the Quantum Engineering team in the development of OQC’s products.
– Recruit world-class quantum engineers to enhance OQC’s reputation and market presence.
– Establish and oversee annual review process with all the quantum engineers and support their career development.
– Enable quantum engineering employees to pursue relationships with the academic community to enhance technology and recruiting pipeline.
– Maintain and foster a collaborative but challenging work environment.
– Maintain and build upon the reputation of the company’s quantum computing service.
– Support commercial team during hosted customer visits to the company or at exhibitions, conferences and other sales and marketing activities.
Key Measures of Success
– Meeting or exceeding all quantum computing performance measures.
– Enhancement of OQC reputation as a provider of Cloud – Based Quantum Computing Services and contract delivery.
– Meeting or exceeding all program & contract performance measures and, where appropriate, targeted growth on existing contracts.
– Achievement of target performance across cross-functional areas of the business.
– Availability of suitably skilled & experienced quantum engineering staff and strategic employee development.
– Establishment & effective management of performance across the Quantum Engineering team, including but not limited to: annual performance reviews, setting of performance targets, 360 degree feedback from employees, peers, colleagues and customers.
– Communicating expectations to the Quantum Engineering team and across the wider company as appropriate.
– Successful achievement of all OQC operational and strategic commitments.
– Professional and efficient execution of all Quantum Engineering activities leading to successful programme & contract delivery, including the growth of existing contracts.
– Strategic Partnerships and Customer Relationships
Working with the OQC Senior Management team, support the development of Strategic Partnerships and key Customer Relationships and ensuring that as these develop and change, their requirements are appropriately reflected in the OQC business and technology strategies. Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
Helping to identify potential Partners & Customers.
Supporting and contributing to meetings and presentations with potential and existing Strategic Partners & Key Customers.
Ensuring that any changes created by these relationships are reflected appropriately in the OQC business and technology strategies.
As this is a young and rapidly developing company, it is almost certain that other responsibilities will emerge, which could logically fall into the successful candidate’s area of expertise or experience. These additional responsibilities will be discussed, agreed and allocated by the OQC Senior Management team.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
Extensive professional experience in Quantum engineering and/or program management in a large, high tech and complex environment.
Experience managing in a cross functional/matrix organisation.
Deep understanding of the engineering systems product design and development process and compliance requirements for engineering, environmental, security, reliability and other relevant engineering standards.
Proven ability to successfully manage profit and loss (P&L) responsibility.
Proven track record in successfully managing budgets and complex projects on a diverse range of contracts.
Strong leadership, interpersonal and resource management skills, with an approach focussed on energising and motivating teams and deliver within the OQC culture.
Proven ability to meet deadlines and work well under pressure.
Ability to rapidly gain an in-depth understanding of the commercial and technical aspects of wider OQC business.
An in-depth understanding of the target markets, trends and developments, and how these relate to the OQC vision and growth strategy.
Excellent communication skills (oral, written and presentation), including the ability to listen effectively.
Strong self-awareness, and a capacity to reflect on own practice and implement changes from lessons learnt.
Relevant BSc Degree or equivalent experience. Higher degree and/or MBA advantageous.
There will be a requirement for occasional travel throughout the UK and elsewhere abroad for meetings, conferences and engineering visits etc.
Attractive remuneration based on experience, as well as benefits and participation in our ESOP.
How to apply
Send your CV and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.orgWe look forward to hearing from you.
46 Woodstock Road,
OX2 6HT Oxford, United Kingdom
Published on March 24, 2020