ICHEC is Ireland’s national centre for High-Performance Computing (HPC) providing digital infrastructure capabilities and expertise through R&D engagements and skills development programmes to academia, industry and public sector organisations.
With a highly ambitious leading-edge Strategy for 2021-2025, ICHEC provides infrastructure services and expertise in HPC and data intelligence to develop efficient platforms, solutions and services based on technologies including AI, high performance data analytics, Earth Observation, quantum computing and cybersecurity across a number of sectors including environmental sciences, healthcare, agriculture, energy, financial services and ICT.
ICHEC works in close partnership with a number of national and international researchers, enterprises and public authorities for joint R&D, skills development, and provisioning HPC and data services to accelerate their digital transformation and green transition.
For more details reach out to our Centre Technical Manager, Dr. Venkatesh Kannan (firstname.lastname@example.org), or visit www.ichec.ie.
Job Description & Duties:
The Quantum Computational Scientist will be an integral member of the rapidly growing Quantum Computing (QC) Activity at ICHEC which is one of the leading QC programmes in Ireland and Europe, working in close collaboration with a number of national and international research groups and enterprise partners in the area of quantum computing technologies and its application.
The QC Activity at ICHEC focuses on:
– Development and operation of hybrid HPC-quantum computing platforms and software toolchains;
– R&D in quantum algorithms and software development;
– Training and skills development in quantum computing and programming.
The successful candidate will
– have the opportunity to be involved in a number of R&D projects associated with the QC Activity, develop technical solutions, training courses, partnerships and proposals;
– work closely with national and international research/industry partners who are QC technology developers and end-users for R&D in domains including (but not limited to) hybrid HPC-quantum systems, quantum-enabled chemistry, optimisation and machine learning;
– assist the Centre in identifying and seeking new opportunities, partnerships and projects;
– disseminate the outcomes of the projects through reports, publications, press releases and presentations at events;
– prepare and deliver training courses to academic, industry and public sector audiences.
This is a role for a highly motivated problem-solver, with a creative and analytical mind, who is excited to leverage and drive the emerging field of Quantum Computing to build new solutions that will have a global impact.
Essential Qualifications/Skills Required:
– A Master’s Degree with experience of at least 4 years or a Ph.D. in a domain relevant to Quantum Information Processing, Quantum Computing or a related discipline in a domain relevant to Quantum Information Processing, Quantum Computing or a related discipline.
– Experience in quantum programming and software development using at least one of the quantum software development toolkits/frameworks such as IBM Qiskit, Atos QLM, Intel-QS, Google Cirq, Xanadu Pennylane, or others.
– Experience with implementing quantum algorithms in at least one of the following areas: physics/chemistry systems, optimisation, machine learning, natural language processing, many-body simulation, or others. Experience in other application areas is also welcome.
– Experience in at least one of the following languages: Python, C, C++, Julia, or similar.
– Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team with academic, research and industry partners, with excellent communication and organisational skills.
– Knowledge of quantum algorithm development, circuit optimisation, noise models and quantum memory models.
– Knowledge of working on HPC systems, CI/CD pipeline and tools.
– Exposure to Agile/PRINCE2 project management frameworks.
€44,659 to €50,031 per annum pro rata for shorter and/or part-time contracts (public sector pay policy rules pertaining to new entrants will apply).
Position is available from May 2021 for initially 10 months, renewable based on funding availability.
How to apply
Please submit your applications via e-mail (in a single PDF only) to email@example.com and include the reference number NUIG RES-072-21 in subject line of e-mail application: - 1-page covering letter summarising your suitability and motivation for the role, - CV (max. 3 pages), and - Contact details of three referees should be sent.
Published on April 13, 2021