Interferometry with entangled atoms in space – experiment control and further development of electronics
The new Institute for Satellite Geodesy and Inertial Sensors (SI) of the German Aerospace Center (DLR) in Hanover, Lower Saxony, is primarily dedicated to research questions in the context of the use of quantum technologies and quantum sensors and develops quantum measurement techniques for innovative applications through to implementation of prototype solutions.
The organizational unit “Quantum Limits in Metrology” (SI-QGM HN) at the Hanover location is looking for a scientific employee who has completed a scientific university degree.
The INTENTAS project aims to provide evidence of interferometric sensitivity beyond the standard quantum limit in zero gravity. The extremely long interrogation times in the Einstein elevator will enable the entanglement to be measured using previously unattainable free expansion times. With the implementation, it is possible for the first time to use the concepts for generating entanglement in a robust and compact atomic sensor. The possible applications of interferometry with entangled atoms range from extremely precise terrestrial sensors such as gradiometers to ambitious missions such as satellite-based atomic interferometers for fundamental physical questions or for earth observation.
Research and development as part of the project “INTENTAS – interferometry with entangled atoms in space” with a focus on experiment control and further development of electronics.
– Realization of the experiment control and control electronics
– Structure and characterization of a microwave chain
– Structure and characterization of a magnetic field stabilization
– Planning and further development of electronics and experiment control concepts beyond INTENTAS as a modular principle for future projects at the DLR-SI
– Completed academic university degree (master’s / diploma) in the field of physics or a comparable field
– Completed doctorate in physics or a comparable qualification
– Many years of professional experience in sensor development, in particular in the design of quantum sensors, electronics design, the development of firmware for microcontrollers, software development, computer-aided and automated data acquisition and evaluation
– In-depth knowledge in the field of electronics, especially in the drafting and design of analog and digital circuits
– Many years of experience in testing and commissioning circuits and electronic components
– Many years of experience in programming with Python or similar programming languages
many years of professional experience in coordinating research projects with
industrial and university partners
– Very good written and spoken English skills are an advantage
You can look forward to an employer who appreciates your commitment and promotes your development through a wide range of qualification and further training opportunities. Our unique working environment offers you creative freedom and an incomparable infrastructure in which you can realize your mission. The compatibility of private life, family and work as well as equal opportunities for people of all genders (f / m / d) are an important part of our personnel policy. We prefer applications from severely disabled people if they are qualified.
How to apply
Published on December 10, 2021